Housing & Transportation

Housing and Transportation

Where will I live while at university? How will I get around in the community?

Where you live and how you get to your classes are important to your university life. Your university can provide information to help you decide whether to apply for residence or seek housing off campus. It may also provide information about public transportation options and the availability of parking services to help you with your commute.



If you are moving away from home to attend university, you may choose to live on campus in residence or in off-campus housing.

You can apply for a spot in a residence at most Ontario universities. Many universities offer guaranteed residence for first-year students. Applications may vary by institution but usually include a short personality profile, your preference for residence style and any accommodations you need.

Read more about residences, application deadlines and the required deposits at each university.

Some universities also offer graduate residences for upper-year students and housing for families.

Top of Page

On-campus Residence

Dormitory Style

You may live in shared (double, triple, etc.) rooms with roommates or in a single room by yourself. Each floor normally has shared washrooms and a lounge space. Some floors may be specially designed for students in particular programs (such as science or music) or with similar interests (such as diversity or social justice).

Apartment Style

You may live with roommates in a shared or single suite-style residence. These residences may have semi-private washrooms or shared washrooms. They usually include shared kitchens and may also have specially designated floors for students in particular programs (such as science, engineering or music).

Family Style

You may be bringing your family with you if you’re moving to attend university, and some schools offer family-style housing. These can be on-campus apartments or townhouse-style residences. If you are interested in this style, contact the housing office at your university.

Top of Page

Off-Campus Housing

While you may choose to live in residence for your first year, you can also commute or live off campus. Many universities have an off-campus housing website that provides resources and tools to help you with your search.

Top of Page

Meal Plans

At many on-campus residences, you can enjoy on-campus dining options that may include both dining halls and brand name food vendors.

At some universities, your meal plan is paid as part of your residence fees. Some meal plans are all-you-can-eat, while others work on a pay-per-meal system. Meal plans vary between universities.

Read more about meal plans at each university.

Top of Page


Public Transportation

Many universities offer transit passes to their students. These passes are usually purchased at a discount or are included in your student fees.

Read more about transit options.


If you drive your own vehicle, you will likely need to purchase a parking pass for the university’s parking lots or garages. You can obtain parking passes directly from your university’s parking services.

Back to Top