What Kind of Applicant Are You?

Before applying to an undergraduate program, you need to know what kind of application to submit. Applications to Ontario universities are completed online through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC).

There are two different applications:

  1. 101 Online Application
  2. 105D Online Application

Top of Page

101 Online Application

The 101 Online application form is for current Ontario secondary school students who also meet the following requirements:

  • you are taking courses during the day at an Ontario secondary school (this includes students returning for second semester and graduated students returning to upgrade one or more courses);
  • you have not been out of high school for more than 7 consecutive months;
  • you have received or expect to receive your Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with six 4U/M (university or mixed) courses at the end of the current year;
  • you have not attended a college, university or career college; and
  • you are applying to the first year of an undergraduate degree or diploma program at an Ontario university.

If you answered yes to all of the above questions, use the 101 Online application.

Top of Page

105D Online Application

The 105D Online application form is for Canadian citizens who are not enrolled in an Ontario high school or for those who meet the following requirements:

  • you currently reside in Canada (Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or those currently studying in Canada on a study permit or other visa); or
  • you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living elsewhere (not in Canada) and
  • you are not currently attending an Ontario high school day program.

Do not complete the 105D online application if you are applying to the 4-semester consecutive BEd program or Common Law.

Top of Page

Are there any admissions policies for Aboriginal learners?

Ontario universities have recognized the need to encourage Aboriginal learners to participate in postsecondary education, and many now offer Aboriginal learners an additional and/or alternate pathway for admission to an undergraduate or graduate program. Find out which Ontario universities offer alternate admission pathways by visiting the university profiles.

During the university application process, you can declare that you have Aboriginal ancestry or heritage – First Nations (status or non-status), Inuit or Métis. By declaring Aboriginal ancestry, your university’s Aboriginal Student Centre may reach out to you with transition supports and other helpful information.

You should be aware that recent amendments to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) Act have given the Ministry the power to oblige institutions to share personalized information, including self-identification data with the Ontario government.

Top of Page

What is a transfer student policy?

Many schools have transfer student policies. These policies apply to students who might choose to transition from a college program into university, or students who seek to change universities during their programs. Student transfer policies outline how the credits you’ve completed at another postsecondary institution can count toward completion of a degree at your new university.

To find out more about your school’s transfer student policies, please contact the admissions office at the university you’d like to attend or visit our university profiles for more information. You can also access the resource guide ONTransfer.ca for interactive transfer information and links to advisors to help you plan your educational pathway.

Top of Page

What is a mature learner policy?

Most Ontario universities have a policy to support admission for mature learners who don’t meet standard university entrance requirements, but who have life and work experience. These policies vary depending on the institution. The Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) has a complete list of mature learner policies. Visit the OUAC’s Mature Learner page.

Top of Page

Back to Top