Here are some steps to take when applying for scholarships, bursaries and awards:
- Search for potential awards
- Make sure you qualify
- Gather your information
- Organize your information
- Do a final check
Search for Potential Awards
After you apply to university, begin to look for scholarships, bursaries and awards. The OUInfo scholarships database can help you in your search for general and university-specific awards. Remember to also contact your university’s Indigenous student centre and financial aid office for more information about scholarships available to you at university.
Make Sure You Qualify
Many scholarships are designed for people who:
- belong to a particular Indigenous community,
- have achieved academic or sporting excellence and/or
- plan to study in a certain field or at a certain level.
Read through the scholarship, bursary or award information carefully to make sure you meet the criteria for application.
Gather Your Information
To apply for a scholarship, bursary or award, you will usually need to fill out forms and provide documents to support your application. You will want to start your application sooner rather than later, because it might take some time to obtain/order required documents (such as an academic transcript) or contact your references. Some documents and information you may be asked to provide with your application include:
- Proof of citizenship or residency status
- Evidence of community involvement, financial need or ancestry
- A letter of acceptance from your school
- A list of references
- A personal statement
- Academic transcripts
Organize Your Information
List all of the scholarships, bursaries and awards that are applicable to you, and include their application deadlines, the required supporting documents (such as an academic transcript) and how and when you will get these documents.
Keep in mind you can re-purpose pieces of your application, since most applications require similar information. This means that you don’t always have to start each application from scratch!
Do a Final Check
Check, check and check again. Use this checklist to make sure you are ready to submit your application.
Complete the following:
- Fill out the application forms carefully.
- Check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Provide all the required supporting documents.
- Ask someone to check over your application. That person might notice something you missed.
- Meet the deadlines.
- Make copies of every application you send, for your own reference.
- Provide current contact details.