Here are some steps to take when applying for scholarships and bursaries:
- Step 1: Search for potential awards.
- Step 2: Make sure you qualify.
- Step 3: Gather your information.
- Step 4: Organize your information.
- Step 5: Do a final check.
Step 1: Search for potential awards
After you apply to university, begin to look for scholarships and bursaries. The eINFO scholarships database can help you in your search for general and university-specific awards. Remember to also contact your university’s Aboriginal Student Centre and Financial Aid Office for more information about scholarships available to you at university.
Step 2: Make sure you qualify
Many scholarships are designed for people who:
- belong to a particular Indigenous community;
- have achieved academic or sporting excellence; and/or
- plan to study in a certain field or at a certain level.
Read through the scholarship or bursary information carefully to make sure you meet the criteria for application.
Step 3: Gather your information
To apply for a bursary or scholarship, you will usually need to fill out forms and provide some documents to support your application. You’ll want to get started with your application sooner rather than later, because it might take some time to order your academic transcripts or contact your references. Some documents and information you may be asked to provide with your application are:
- proof of citizenship or residency status;
- evidence of community involvement, financial need or ancestry;
- letter of acceptance from your school;
- list of references;
- personal statement; and/or
- your academic transcript.
Step 4: Organize your information
List all the scholarships and bursaries that are applicable to you, and include their application deadlines, the required supporting documents (such as an academic transcript) and how and when you will get these documents. Keep in mind you can repurpose pieces of your application, since most applications require similar information. This means that you don’t always have to start each application from scratch!
Step 5: Do a final check
Check, check, and recheck. Use this checklist to make sure you are ready to submit your application. Be sure that you complete the following:
- Fill out the applications forms carefully.
- Check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Provide all the necessary supporting documents.
- Ensure that copies of documents are certified.
- Meet the deadline date
- Make copies of every application sent, for your own reference.
- Provide current contact details.
- Ask someone to check over your application, because that person might notice something that you’ve missed.